"Fine cottages and facilities – in a county of unspoilt landscapes, deep dales and winding rivers . . ."
This fine courtyard of old stone barns was part of a working farm, but has now been sensitively converted to offer sixteen beautifully furnished and well-equipped cottages, four of which are featured here. Boasting a wealth of original features, they enjoy shared use of a rich choice of leisure facilities, including a superb indoor heated swimming pool in an adjacent purpose-designed building. With a shallow area for children, the pool has its own changing rooms and a sauna, and there is a separate games room. Brackendale Spa offers luxurious treatments. There are two conference/dining rooms to accommodate large groups, and a separate laundry room with automatic washing machine and tumble dryer. Close to the cottages are patio and barbecue areas. All set in 3 acres of shared grounds, offering a children’s play area and plenty of space in which to relax.
This is an ideal setting for a Peak District holiday. Knockerdown Farm is conveniently situated on the road between Ashbourne and Matlock, within walking distance of beautiful Carsington Water, a superb windsurfing and sailing centre, which has an area devoted to wildlife and nature conservancy. Throughout the year they have special fun days for children of all ages. At the water sports centre guests can hire (with tuition) kayaks, windsurfers, Canadian canoes and bicycles. Professional fly fishing is available to enable guests to try their hand at fishing this popular, well-stocked reservoir. Fine walking country is virtually on the doorstep, and the renowned Tissington and Middleton cycle trails are both close by (with bikes available to hire). The principal centres of the Derbyshire Dales are nearby - Wirksworth, the market town of Ashbourne, attractive Bakewell (of pudding fame) and Matlock: all are fascinating ancient towns. Matlock Bath (6 miles) is popular as an inland resort, standing on the River Derwent amid lovely scenery, and offering boating, angling, bowls, tennis and cricket. The young (and the young at heart) will enjoy a day out at the National Tramway Museum - where visitors may enjoy the fun experience of trams from around the world! Magnificent Chatsworth House (16 miles) boasts a famous collection of art treasures as well as beautiful gardens. Haddon Hall (13 miles) is England’s most complete and authentic medieval house dating back to the 14th century. It is set in lovely countryside overlooking the River Wye, near Bakewell, which houses one of the National Park’s information centres. One of Britain’s premier theme parks, Alton Towers, within easy reach is amongst appealing countryside close to the picturesque village of Alton, offers a fun-packed day out for all the family. There are several country inns within walking distance. Shop 5 miles, pub 100 yards.
Entrance into beamed, open-plan sitting/dining room with kitchen area. First floor: Double bedroom. Twin bedroom. Bathroom with over-bath shower and toilet.
- Wall mounted convector heating
- Electricity, bed linen and towels included (cot linen not included)
- Cots and high chairs on request (no high chair straps provided)
- Shared laundry room with coin-operated washing machine and tumble dryer
- Shared patio areas with garden furniture
- Shared grounds of 3 acres with children’s play area
- Shared barbecues
- Shared use of indoor heated swimming pool – open all year round, except Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day (8.30am–6.30pm)
- Shared sauna
- Brackendale Spa
- Shared pool table (coin-operated)
- No smoking
SUPERB FACILITIES - AVAILABLE ALL YEAR
- Indoor heated swimming pool (34ft x 15ft, depth 3ft to 5ft 9in), with changing rooms and children’s shallow area – open all year round, except Xmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day (8.30am to 6.30pm)
- Shared 3-acre grounds with children’s play area, patios and BBQ area
- Brackendale function room and Carsington dining room for hire